Saturday, October 25, 2008

markae's halloween caramels...

another favorite from my amazing sister-in-law!  i make this recipe every halloween & it is always a hit!!!!  i won't lie to you & tell you that they are not a lot of  work, but i can promise you that they are soooo worth it.  i also modify the  recipe (change the oil flavor) for other holidays & use it to make other great recipes... caramel covered marshmallows.  I will put those instructions at the bottom of this post.  


{Markae's Halloween Caramels}


1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 cup sugar

1 cup butter

1 1/2 cups light corn syrup

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 tsp. anise oil

3/4 tsp. black food coloring


In a heavy sauce pan mix milk, sugar, butter, corn syrup & salt.  Stir continually over medium heat until reaches bottom of firm ball stage- 240 degrees on candy thermometer.  This will take a little while.  Be patient!!!  

Remove from heat & add anise oil & food coloring. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish & let cool at least 2 hours.  Cut into small squares with a sharp knife & wrap in caramel wrappers or waxed paper.



{Black & White Sparklies}

to make these little beauties- i just make the caramels recipe, and while the caramel is still warm i dip the marshmallows, with skewers in them, into the caramel.  i then roll them in black or any color you like sanding sugars.  place onto waxed paper & let cool completely.  

1 comment:

Kesley Galland said...

These carmel are pure Heaven! I am so happy that I have such a great friend who will make them for me- I need to come out of my cooking shell and just try to make these once- maybe I will if my friend will come and hold my hand through the process- but honestly these are super- a must try!!